Is There Any More Tea In That Pot?

Everyday events in the life of a tea lover.

Wednesday 1 February 2012

"What is the definition of a dead ball?" !!! Or "Is it cricket?"

 My dear husband of almost 40 years, will reach the milestone age of 60 very soon.So to mark the occasion, or to pursue a childhood dream (!) he has decided to take a  course at Warwickshire County Cricket ground to become an Umpire. On Monday evening this week when I was out warbling away at Vivaldi's "Gloria" and CPE Bach's "Magnificat" with my local choral society rehearsal, he was at Edgbaston cricket ground for his first in a series of 8 sessions. This lasted for two and a half hours. No break, and no cup of tea! (Tragic for a Teapot like me!)  He duly returned home at around 10.45pm, having first done a day's work at the office.        Commitment indeed! I by this time was not receptive, due to the lateness of the hour, and a glass of red wine........I did not wish to discuss the finer points of the Laws of Cricket, which are legion I can assure you! We had to watch a pre-recorded session of the evening's "University Challenge" in order for him to wind down! I always watch this
programme with the sub-titles on.........as more often than not, I don't even understand the questions...
However, I have to confess when he told me what his homework was I laughed so much it made me think of Matt, who would've been splitting his sides at the thought. And Timelord said I wonder what the French translation would be?
And suggested, tongue-in-cheek that I could make translating the rules of cricket into French my next assignment!
Mmmmmmmmmmmm!
Dead ball?   La boule est morte???????? 
 

So, the homework is to learn, amongst others, the definition of a dead ball. Yes, cricket is a funny old game, but we love it!
This definition is Law 23- Dead Ball.
Others      Law 9 -  The bowling, popping and return creases.


Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment