Is There Any More Tea In That Pot?

Everyday events in the life of a tea lover.

Tuesday 14 May 2013

Maytime has at last unfurled the leaves.

I find it amazing that after what seemed like an endless winter delaying the start of spring by at least  two to three weeks, the trees and plants have suddenly burst into life.
The cherries especially have been particularly beautiful. 
I have not written much here lately having had a bout of viral illness which has settled. I had not had very much energy. 
So, as the first Bank Holiday in May approached we all looked to the weather......as traditionally here in the UK these particular weekends are not renowned for being particularly sunny and warm, quite the opposite! 
I am certain that the lovely weather which arrived, briefly but very welcome, made everyone collectively smile and relax! It lifted the spirit.          
Bank Holiday Monday 6th May 2013 8.30a.m. 
 As my favourite poet has written
" There never was a finer day,
And never will be while May is May.
The third and not the last of its kind;
But though fair and clear the two behind
Seemed pursued by tempests overpast;
And the morrow with the fear that it could not last....."

May the Twenty-third
Edward Thomas.

So, even as he was writing in the days just at the beginning of the First World War in 1914, he, like me, watched the skies and wondered how long the beautiful days would last.  
 He has a lovely line in the same poem which says:
" Spring could do nothing to make me sad.
Bluebells hid all the ruts in the copse,
The elm seeds lay in the road like hops,
That fine day, May the twenty-third"


Goldfinch on my nyjer seed feeders
 So, as I watched the goldfinches on my feeders, and saw the cherry blossom finally appear, I smiled and enjoyed the day.
Cherry blossom at last came out!  

Pink cherry 

No comments:

Post a Comment