Is There Any More Tea In That Pot?

Everyday events in the life of a tea lover.

Saturday 14 January 2012

A winter blast. Saturday 14th January 2012. -5C at 8.00am.

This morning all the rooftops were icy white with frost. And the birds descended on the feeders in the garden to combat the cold. I haven't taken these photos but downloaded them from the web. All these varieties of birds were present.     
Goldfinch

I have had over 8 goldfinches at one time all squabbling to eat the nyjer seeds which they love.
Great tit


Greenfinch

Great Spotted Woodpecker
The Great Spotted Woodpecker was hanging precariously off a half  coconut, his bright red flash of a head  and rump showing up against the surroundings. I have a pair who come regulary.
Nuthatch
I have a pair of nuthatches,and I love the black eye stripe. They go up and down the trunk on the apple tree, clinging on so they can go down head first too.   

Redpoll 
My redpolls have returned. I had 15 in the garden last winter in the extreme snow and icy days of last January 2011. Today there are 8.   
Robin
Coal tit
Always lots of coal tits, and blue tits.
Bluetit

House Sparrow

The frost on my "forest flame."
Unusual ice formation in one of the terracotta dishes used for the birds when they need a drink 

1 comment: